Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Bloatware Marketing 101

Let's say company X invented a new format for video called FOO and ask you to download a FOO player from them to play these videos. When you download FOO player, you have to download BAR player, which has nothing to do with video but it sells other stuff for company X.

By this time you'll probably cry foul and start condemning M$.

Although it sounds like typical "evil" M$ tactics, it actually comes from the "angel" company: Apple.

This is what I found when I helped my dad to view QuickTime movies taken by his digital camera: if you download the free QuickTime player from Apple, it comes with iTunes as well. Both pieces of software are known to hog system resources on Windows. I certainly don't want any unnecessary software on my dad's computer. So, we have to go with something like QuickTime Alternative or VLC Media player from VideoLAN

What surprise me the most is not Apple's tactic but the few number of critics that condemn this. If this is from M$, you'll probably have heard of it a million times.

All these led me to thinking: the power of a cult is really scary. Although it has very few members, the members are exceptionally loyal and defend real hard for their faith. The masses cannot drown out their voice.

So, if your company doesn't have a cult, you won't get away with bloatware.

Side Note: I am also shopping for solution to protect/clean marking from keyboards on the screen of my iBook. I do not know of any manufacturer other than Apple that makes notebook that have keyboard marks on the screen yet I've never seen this criticized in reviews of Apple's notebooks. Talk about unfairness!

The bottom line is: when you're the darling of the media, you get a lot of breaks.

No comments: